The mission of CYO is to provide the highest quality programs to our young people. We are committed to provide these programs based on integrity, fair play and the right of all individuals to participate. We view our responsibility as extending far beyond the mere teaching of athletic skills. Our programs offer the opportunity to develop moral standards in all of our young people.
Thank you all for being part of the CYO community. It is through the commitment, time and effort of our volunteers and participants that we are able to achieve the CYO mission. This Rockland CYO website is sponsored by the NY Archdiocese Catholic Youth Organization with the intention of enhancing the CYO experience for all involved.
Rockland CYO Divisions
Rockland County CYO Rules 2018‐2019
ALL CYO LEAGUES, FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, FOLLOW THE OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL (BOYS) RULES OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION.
1. Pressing rules
3rd GRADE AND 4TH GRADE BOYS AND GIRLS
No pressing in the 3rd grade and 4th grade divisions until the last minute of the game only.
Regardless of the score. This rule has been added so that the winning team is unable to run out the clock in the back court
3Rd graders and 4th graders are permitted to play only man to man defense. The defense must be at foul line extended, while the offense gets the ball over half court. Once the ball is established on the front court, either by pass or dribble, the defense is permitted to pick up their assigned man. Help line defense is permitted at the discretion of the referee.
*****Rockland CYO had decided that 3rd grade games only will, in the event of a tie after regulation, play one 3 minute overtime period. During this overtime teams will only be allowed to press in the last minute of the overtime. If the game is tied after the overtime period the game will end in a tie as this will not affect their playoffs. This rule will only apply to the 3rd grade level for both boys and girls.
GRADE 5 EAST AND WEST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing is permitted in grade 5 for the final 2 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
In 5th grades, defense begins after the ball has been established on the offensive front court. This means a player must be across the mid court line with possession of the ball either by dribbling or a pass, prior to being picked up by a defender.
GRADES 6 – 8 EAST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing is permitted for the entire game, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
Grades 6 – 8 WEST DIVISION BOYS AND GIRLS
Pressing will be permitted only in the last 4 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
AT ALL GRADE LEVELS AND DIVISIONS, 15 OR MORE POINTS AHEAD
When a team is fifteen (15) points ahead in any game, it will be illegal to use any front court press. Failure to comply with this rule after a warning may result in a technical foul.
. When the no press rule is in effect, whether the 15 point rule or the level rule, the defensive team must back up to the foul line extended, until the ball is crossed and settled in the offensive front court.
**This means when a team cannot press, all defensive players must fall back to the foul line extended until the offensive team has the ball established in the front court. At that time all players may use the entire front court to play defense.
Bonus situation begins with the 7th team foul, which will be the “one and one” bonus. On the 10th team foul the two shot bonus will be used.
ENTERING LANE: AT ALL LEVELS PLAYERS MAY ENTER THE LANE ON THE RELEASE OF THE FREE THROW ATTEMPT
1. In the west division, grades 4 thru 8 all players are required to play for 5 minutes per game.
2. No three (3) point shot.
3. Time periods = two (2) twelve (12) minute halves – five (5) minute halftime.
4. In all girls’ divisions, Rookie, Bantam and Small Fry, the official smaller ball will be used.
5. The foul line for Boys 3rd, 4th and 5th grades along with Girls 3rd, 4th 5th and 6th should be twelve (12) feet from the backboard. However the full key will be utilized to determine the three (3) second violation.
6. Four (4) timeouts are permitted during the game. There will be no penalty for illegal numbers on the uniforms, or for contrasting colors of shirts worn under the uniforms. Contrasting shirts must be uniform throughout the team.
7. Dunking is not permitted in any CYO divisions. This includes both warm-ups and games.
8. Team players and up to two (2) coaches only may SIT on the bench. Only HEAD COACH may stand.
3RD GRADE WILL BE ALLOWED A THIRD COACH TO ASSIST IN INSTRUCTING THE PLAYERS
9. No shot clocks will be utilized.
10. All uniforms must have parish/school name printed on the front. A team can wear any color t-shirt under their uniform, but everyone on the team has to be wearing the same color.
11. Players must remove all jewelry and hair accessories prior to the beginning of the game. Players are not permitted to wear tape over any jewelry (including earrings). Players either REMOVE ALL JEWELRY and HAIR ACCESSORIES or THEY DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the game.
12. Players are not permitted to wear sneakers with lights, springs or wheels.
13. A player or coach that is ejected from a game will be suspended one game for the first offense and will face possible expulsion on the second offense. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
14. Players involved in a fight will be suspended for two (2) games and depending on the severity of the incident, may face expulsion. Second offense will result in immediate expulsion. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
15. A coach involved in a fight will face immediate expulsion upon immediate consultation with the Pastor, the Moderator, and the County Coordinator. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
16. It is the home team’s responsibility to keep the clock and the scorebook whether at their gym or a neutral site. Parishes, schools are responsible to train adults how to do the clock. At no time is a minor permitted to be responsible for the clock for any game.
17. Scorebooks must be filled out with all potential players, both first and last names and the scorebook is to be signed by both officials prior to the start of the game.
18. In all divisions the free throw lanes may be occupied as follows: a) In the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade Boys and Girls and 6th grade girls division the bottom box of the key will be filled when shooting free throws; b) In the 6th grade Boys, 7th, 8th and High School Boys and Girls divisions, the first marked lane space (the lane space adjacent to the end line) shall not be occupied.
A COPY OF THESE RULES IS TO BE POSTED AT THE SCORER’S TABLE FOR ALL GAMES
Rockland CYO 3rd and 4th grade DEFENSE and OFFENSE rules clarifications
One thing to focus on is man to man defense and picking up offensive players.
1. On an inbounds pass the defense CANNOT double team a player and MUST guard the player taking the ball out. (WITHIN 6 FEET OF THE INBOUNDER).
2. The defense must be at foul line extended, UNTIL THE BALL IS SETTELED INTO THE FRONT COURT. A pass from the back court to the front court cannot be stolen, if the pass is made to the wings or top of key. Any pass that goes from the backcourt directly to or below foul line extended can be stolen.
3. Once the ball settles in the front court, meaning the offensive player has the ball and both feet in the front court, the defense can pick up all the way up to half court.
4. If teams are running a fast break then the defense can play the ball as soon as it is in the front court, just past the division line.
5. When teams can press, the last minute of the game or overtime then any defense can be used.
IN 3RD GRADE GIRLS THE FREE THROW SHOOTER WILL START BEHIND THE FREE THROW LINE AND BE PERMITTED TO GO OVER THE FREE THROW LINE IN THE INITIAL SHOT, BUT IF THE SHOOTER REBOUNDS THE BALL A VIOLATION WIL BE CALLED
We need to be consistent in enforcing this. Please everyone get on the same page. If we enforce the rule properly the players and coaches will adjust.